Psalm 72 is a beautiful prayer for a nation. It’s focus is primarily on its leader. In its recipe for a prosperous nation we find a leader who knows the truth from lies and acts in truth and righteousness, a leader who brings up other strong leaders, a system that brings peace to the people and a people who fear the LORD. On the other hand, we see in scripture how a nation and people who turn from God are handed over to confusion, not being able to discern the truth from lies, they pursue emptiness and the nation declines.
- Romans 1:18-32 – Turning away from God, being handed over
- Isaiah 1:21-31 – Outcomes: systematic ruin of economy and justice
- Isaiah 3:2-6 – Outcomes: weak leaders
- 2 Timothy 3:1-7 – Outcomes: false believers
- 2 Timothy 4:3-4 – Outcomes: false religion
Deuteronomy 28 – Compare and contrast
May we be the salt of the earth and preserve the old ways.
Today’s reading: 2 Samuel 17; 2 Corinthians 10; Ezekiel 24; Psalm 72