- After this the Lord appointed seventy-two others and sent them two by two ahead of him to every town and place where he was about to go. 2 He told them, “The harvest is plentiful, but the workers are few. Ask the Lord of the harvest, therefore, to send out workers into his harvest field. 3 Go! I am sending you out like lambs among wolves.
The heading for for today’s bible journal is called Mission Improbable, at first when I thought about this heading I needed to remind myself of these two words. The definition of mission is: the calling of a religious organization, especially a Christian one, to go out into the world and spread its faith. The definition for improbable is: not likely to be true or to happen.
What makes this mission improbable?
As we read the Lord sending out the 70 or 72 (depending on the version you read) why would it be so improbable? Then I read verse 2-3, “The harvest is plentiful, but the workers are few. Go! I am sending you out like lambs among wolves.
Looking back at Luke 9, Jesus had just sent out His 12 disciples. Now, those who had seen, heard, and believed in Jesus were willing to go into the harvest field. The 72 were appointed by Jesus, given instructions, and sent out in pairs.
Consider these questions.
- Where and who has God purposely placed in your life today to be on mission?
- What faithful role does God wants me to have in His work? (not my work)
- Am I doing all I can for the harvest, or am I just watching?
As you reflect on those questions today be encouraged by these points.
- The harvest is great: We do the work knowing how important and big it is. God’s Kingdom!
29 For this purpose also I labor, striving according to His power, which mightily works within me. Colossians 1:29
2. The laborers are few: We do the work knowing that we have a key job. This job involves the opportunity today to possibly leading someone to a glorious Kingdom in contrast to destiny in hell separated from our God. Don’t try to do it all alone. Be in community. Talk with a brother or sister in Christ about the opportunity you have to speak life into someone else.
“Two are better than one because they have a good return for their labor, for if either of them falls, the one will lift up his companion. But woe to the one who falls when there is not another to lift him up.” (Eccl 4:9-10)
3. Pray the Lord of the harvest: We do the work with a lot of prayer. Our job is to pray, pray for these opportunities. Pray for in your conversations and interactions with others. Pray to help equip others. Honestly, I can sit and be a spectators at times. Except, Jesus has called us to be laborers. I have to be willing at all times to have conversations as well.
4. Go your way:I am sending you, like lambs among wolves: We do the work making ourselves vulnerable. We will be met by opposition. This dangerous mission requires sincere commitment. Let God be our strength today and every day. .
Charles Wesley wrote Lord of the Harvest, Hear. in 1742
LORD of the harvest, hear
Thy needy servants’ cry;”
Answer our faith’s effectual prayer,
And all our wants supply.
On Thee we humbly wait;”
Our wants are in Thy view;
The harvest truly, Lord is great,
The laborers are few.
Convert, and send forth more
Into Thy Church abroad,
And let them speak Thy Word of power,
As workers with their God.
Give the pure Gospel word,
The word of general grace;
Thee let them preach, the common Lord,
Savior of human race.
O let them spread Thy Name,
Their mission fully prove,
Thy universal grace proclaim,
Thine all redeeming love!
On all mankind, forgiven,
Empower them still to call,
And tell each creature under Heaven
That Thou hast died for all.
The picture I shared is a sign I drive by daily. Jesus prepared the 12, He prepared the 72, He is preparing you. Today, as you go to work, go to school, stay at home, go to practice,… you are one mission, and God has equipped you.