Todays reading is Ephesians 2
Paul is in a Roman jail because of his love for Jesus and he is writing a letter of encouragement to the church in Ephesus. He is encouraging them to keep believing in Jesus and do His good work in the midst of harsh persecution. Tychichus visited Paul in jail and took the letter home to share with the church. It is a letter full of encouragement and reminders of all that God has done.
I personally thrive when I am encouraged. If I get a pat on the back or some kind of attention for a job well done I will hang on to that moment for days. Put me with other people who are encouraging and excited and I quickly catch the fever. I picture the big company “rah rah” seminars that get everybody pumped up to sell this or that and get excited to move up to the next level or be the best seller for the month. Everyone is excited to perform and get better and get moving. All because they hold a common belief or common goal. This letter is the “rah rah” seminar for Jesus! It reminds us of who we are and why we do what we do.
- 2:4-5 But God is so rich in his mercy , and he loved us so very much, that even while we were dead because of our sins, he gave us life when he raised Jesus from the dead.
- 2:6 For He raised us from the dead along with Christ, and we are seated with him in the heavenly realms.
- 2:8 God saved you by his special favor when you believed; it is a GIFT from God.
- 2:10 For we are God’s masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so that we can do the good things he planned for us long ago.
All this from a man in prison to encourage others who were free to spread the Good News of Jesus. He goes on to remind them that we are all one in Christ. This is our common core value.
- 2: 18 Now all of us, both Jews and Gentiles may come to the Father through the same Holy Spirit because of what Christ has done for us.
- 2:20 We are his house, built on the foundation of the apostles and the prophets. And the cornerstone is Christ Jesus himself.
The best news is that it is all a GIFT. There is nothing we can do to earn it, we just accept it and believe.
Be encouraged today! You are God’s masterpiece!