August 30, 2016
noun plural noun: imitators 1. a person who copies the behavior or actions of another. 2. To use or follow as a model: Your brother imitates you because he admires you.
People imitate for many reasons. Some good, and, …some bad. Imitators of words, actions, and lifestyles. Currently, I will see this all the time with my two sons. Jackson the 5 year old will do something, anything, and Marshall our 19 month son will do his best impression of it.(good or bad) Likewise, I see these same actions carried out by both boys through my actions as well. (again, good or bad)
Today’s Reading:1 Samuel 23; 1 Corinthians 4; Ezekiel 2; Psalm 38
In today’s readings, 1 Corinthians 4 shares a message from Paul telling Timothy to be an imitator of him. (1 Corinthians 4:16) Paul was sent for Timothy as a model like a father with their child. Paul was sent for us to remind us of the ways of Christ that we need to model.
Each day God presents us with needs and opportunities to challenge us to do what is right. Is my “Christian conduct” that which Paul modeled for Timothy? My prayer is to grow in this desire and my behaviors daily until His will calls me elsewhere. As a husband, father, son, brother, and friend I know as I list some of these examples of Christ there is vast opportunity to grow. I can talk about faith, but if my actions don’t follow or I’m saying sorry all the time then I need to make some changes. This is the time where I can reflect on another reading from today Psalm 38:18.
I confess my iniquity; I am sorry for my sin.
The days are long but the years are short. Let’s set our best example of Jesus for others. In my study bible it shares some great verses to help us along this path.
- Matthew 11:29 – Jesus told his followers to learn from his example of gentleness and humility.
- Philippians 3:17 – Paul urged believers to follow his example of enthusiasm, perseverance, and maturity.
- 1 Thessalonians 1:6-7 – The new Christians in Thessalonica received training in discipleship from Paul.
- 1 Timothy 1:16 – Paul used his unworthiness to receive Christ as an example of grace so that no one would hold back from coming to Christ.
- 1 Peter 5:3 – Peter taught Christians leaders to lead by example, not by commands.
Dear Father, We pray that we are examples of Christ. That we are examples of Christ in our children and in the world. That nonbelievers will be able to see the belief of Christ in us and be drawn to this salvation through our examples. Thank you God, we know this is only possible through you. Amen